Saturday, April 7, 2012

Childish Gambino at Stubb's 4/5/2012


As I've documented before, I f*cking love Childish Gambino/Donald Glover.  So, when tickets went on sale for Gambino's show, I bought them the second they went on sale.  That was in November.  On April 5, 2012, I got to see him live.  At last.  (A short review after the break)

It was an awesome show.  Awesome.  Unbeknownst to myself, this was the opening show of the Camp Tour.  Gambino was backed by a full band (including a dude with a violin!), and his stage set up included a big ass screen behind him that would show video clips or song lyrics.  It all set the stage for something electric.  I'd seem some live performances on youtube, and one of the first things I noticed was just how polished the performance was.  Ever the showman, Gambino ROCKED Austin.  It was one of the best crowds, I'd been part of.  Everyone seemed into it.

I was enjoying myself too much to get the playlist.  He went through most of the Camp album, and I know he did NOT play "Kids" and "That Power."  Gambino teased "That Power" and the crowd excitedly started singing until Gambino cut us off.  The crowd went nuts at "Bonfire" and were equally pumped for "Freaks and Geeks" and "All of the Lights."  For the encore, Gambino freestyled which was pretty awesome to watch, but it kind of took the crowd out of it.  He closed the show with "Lights Turned On" (also from the EP.)  I love "Lights Turned On."  It is a high-octane number, but I think he shoulda closed with one of the hits.

Glover had recently broken his foot, and he moved with a boot.  You only really noticed it when limping off the stage.  Otherwise, you'd never know.  Swag.

I really think "electric' is the only way to describe the show.  I think I would put that in my top 5 shows all-time... Catch this man on tour.

Danny Brown opened for Gambino.  I was not a fan.  The Detroit rapper's set consisted of a bunch of songs that all sounded similar... They were all sung in a nasally voice with an occasional aggressive part put in.  I couldn't understand what was being said most of the time, so it all felt very generic.

No comments:

Post a Comment