Friday, July 29, 2011
Whipped Cream of the Day
• Only a few more days until the new Beirut album comes out digitally. I haven’t been this excited for something since I found out there was going to be a re-make of The Karate Kid. Here’s another new song.
• Gauntlet Hair is finally coming out with a full-length album on October 18th. The Chicago natives first dazzled me with “I Was Thinking.” Here’s a new one called “Top Bunk.” You can listen and download both here.
• For my weekly update on all things Washed Out, here he is beautifully covering Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game” which can listen & download here. A fan has released a video for the song “Before” that goes along with the song's dewey, 60s-romantic feel. Also, an interview and performance of “Eyes Be Closed” at the Guardian studio in the UK.
• The Antlers have been doing in-studio sessions with some great artists including Neon Indian & Bear In Heaven. Here they are performing “Hounds” with the smokey Nicole Atkins.
• Everyone has to watch this remarkable video shot by a devoted fan for LCD Soundsystem’s “Friends.” It’s done entirely in LEGOS.
• Björk’s video for “Crystalline” which is a swirling stop motion haze of spacey effects and colors.
• Disco maniacs Holy Ghost! just unleashed the video for “Some Children” from their self-titled album that came out earlier this year. The track features the vocals of none other then Michael McDonald.
• Feist is putting out a brand new album that will show it’s pretty face later in the year. Read more about over at Pitchfork.
• And for the nerdy portion of this editorial, at this year’s Comin-Con, Lost executive producers Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse whipped out a scene from Season 1 that never aired. What comes from this is kind of big deal.