Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Beat Goes On: Thoughts on Chris Brown and Rihanna's Collaboration


So, Chris Brown and Rihanna recently released a couple of tracks in which one worked on the other's song.  They released these songs simultaneously on her birthday.  This is obviously a big deal because, a couple years ago, he beat the crap out of her.

Chris Brown feat. Rihanna - Turn Up the Music (Remix)

Rihanna feat. Chris Brown - Birthday Cake (Remix)

Truth, neither song is my cup of tea, but I wanted to address the elephant in the room... the battered, bruised, elephant in the room... And to be honest, there isn't much of a point here.  Just wanted to think aloud.  

I just... I don't know how to feel.  I just plain don't like the dude.  I was never a fan of his music (didn't even know who he was UNTIL he beat Rihanna), so all I know about him is that he beat a woman.  He beat her bad.  He threatened to kill her.  I'm assuming, somewhere, he apologized... but, really, everything he's done since then makes him come off as an unrepentant douchebag who's mocking you with his dancing.

But the thing is, he doesn't owe me an apology.  Really, the only person who he owes an apology to is Rihanna.  And she seems to have forgiven him.  God knows why, but she did.  So are we mad at her now?  Or is this the sign that the world is ready to accept him again?

Well, I'm not there, but again, I just plain don't like him (or his live musical performances that consist of watching a dude not-singing.)  It bothers me that he brutally and savagely assaulted a woman, and now he's dancing in my living room. (And it bothers me that there is a group of people that are not only okay with that but welcome a beating from him if it means that part of said beating comes from his penis.)  Who do we get mad at though?  Him for being there or the network for putting him on?  Oh, and change the channel.

His public shaming seems like it isn't fulfilled, and I honestly don't know why that's the case.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind.  But the world's forgiven Mike Tyson.  The world's okay with Charlie Sheen.  Fuck, they've both been on comedy central's roasts where people laugh and joke about the abusive things they've done.  But what did they do that was different?  Especially with Sheen.  I guess, time passed and Tyson became mellow... but Sheen quickly became this weird folk hero that had a national tour.  He wasn't repentant either.  He was saying he was a fucking warlock that was winning.

People against domestic violence (and lame music) can and should despise him... but I don't think he owes us an apology for something he did to someone else.  He just has to accept that he'll never be universally beloved and the topic of his assault will ALWAYS remain with him.  And we have to accept that he's there.


There really isn't a point to this post.  I'm not trying to argue one thing or another.  It's just an odd situation to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment